Getting an Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) for OFWs in NZ

UPDATE 17 JULY 2019 Hi everyone, I was informed that the OEC policy for OFWs in New Zealand has changed and the Philippine embassy in Australia has ceased issuance of OECs for NZ work visa holders. They can only do employment verification at this point and the OEC itself will have to be obtained in a POEA office in the Philippines.

How to start:

If your inquiry is about OEC or Verification of your employment contract for Balik Manggagawa processing, please be advised that you need to process your OEC in the Philippines per POEA Memorandum Circular 02 series of 2019.

We can only verify your employment contract which you may present to POEA when applying for an OEC.

Effective 15 May 2019, kindly send the following requirements which you may ask your employer to do it if you are already vacationing in the Philippines:

1. Hard copy of the employment contract (full time or permanent)
2. Signed addendum as hereto attached to comply with the minimum requirements of the POEA in employing Filipino Workers abroad which will form part of your existing employment contract
3. Working Visa
4. Biopage of worker’s passport
5. Paid self-addressed return envelope or airwaybill from international courier for New Zealand (You may try this link for the air waybill: or with contact number to your preferred location of receipt of documents.

Email submission of requirements are no longer accepted as POEA requires hard copies of verified employment contract for processing OEC Under Balik Manggagawa.

An insurance policy may be submitted in lieu of the addendum provided there is provision for repatriation and medical evacuation to the Philippines in case of worker’s death or severe illness.

The verification fee is AU$18.00 and payment may be through a Bank Draft (for OFWs Outside Australia) or Australian Money Order (for OFWs in Australia) payable to POLO – Philippine Embassy. Kindly write your name at the back of the Australian Money Order or Bank Draft. Please note also that we do not accept payments through Bank Transfer.

For payments through Bank Draft, please make sure that it is in Australian Dollars and the Australia Drawee Bank is indicated at the “TO”portion of the Bank Draft. Please see sample

Please send the foregoing requirements through mail to c/o Philippine Embassy Canberra-POLO, 1 Moonah Place, Yarralumla ACT 2600, Australia.
For more information and the copy of the addendum, kindly go to the this link:

(Please be informed that POLO Canberra is open on Mondays through Fridays from 9:00AM to 6:00PM Canberra Time except holidays.)

IMPORTANT: Once you have acquired your first OEC, you are now exempted from all the succeeding OECs as long as you are working within the same company. You may get your OEC exemption # on your BM online account every time you fly back to the Philippines.

When you change employers, you have to do this long process again until you get your Residency Visa.


  1. Hi,

    San po kayo nag bayad ng bank transfer? Parang mahigpit ata po yung ibang banks in transferring money via wire transfer. So yun po problem ko.


  2. Hi there, thank you for your blog regarding OEC.
    I am now on process of getting one but the Polo Owwa in Australia replied to me saying h I should get a life insurance with repatriation coverage.

    Will you please advise what insurance you use when you apply your OEC?
    Is NZ based insurance companies is acceptable?
    I am planning to get one from AA insurance.
    I am very stress with this insurance.

    Kind regards

  3. This is super helpful thank you! I have some questions on the process if you dont mind and would appreciate it if I could reach out to you privately if possible.

  4. This is so helpful as the polo website is quite confusing. Even the breakdown of fees are helpful. Just one question… Each payment should have a manager’s cheque each or all fees in one cheque? Thanks

  5. Hi po,
    So no need na po ng OEC if i have a resident visa? Even if i don’t have a work here in NZ, as long as i have resident visa, that’s ok po?

    Thank you po.


    1. Hi Eileen,

      Yes! You just need to register yourself at the CFO (if you havent). And if youre visiting the PH with a less than 2-year resident visa, i believe a PDOS seminar is also mandatory.

  6. Dear Sir /Madam,
    query regarding OEC Do I need to get an oec I am a partner of a NEW ZEALANDER and planning to go back to the Philippines for a holiday currently I’m a work visa holder under partnership of a new zealander. How and where to get an OEC?
    Your kind reply is very much appreciated!

    Best Regards,

  7. Hi maam.

    I just want to ask on how to pay the AUD 18. Im currently in philippines waiting to complete my process of contract verification. I have all the requirement needed to support my contract verification except for the AUD 18 fee. Please give specific advice on how can i pay it. Thank you

  8. Hi,there thank you for your blog regarding OEC gusto ko sanang umuwi sa Dec pro dipa ako nakarenew ng working visa ko pwede ba ako mag apaly ng OEC ko now?

  9. Hi! Anong meaning ng “2. Signed addendum as hereto attached to comply with the minimum requirements of the POEA in employing Filipino Workers abroad which will form part of your existing employment contract”? San ko po makukuha yun? Also gaano po ba kabilis ang processing period ng OEC?

Leave a Comment